Monday, February 4, 2008

Busy as a Bee

I haven't posted in a few weeks for two reasons. First, nothing outrageously fun or exciting has happened. Second, we've been busy, busy, busy! Nonetheless, I am taking some time tonight to catch you up on life as we know it! As you know, I started working full-time again in January, and I'm swamped/blessed with lots of work right now! To add to my regular duties, I just started a 3-week online training course that I have to complete. Then in two weeks or so, I'm being sent to Aggieland for a conference. As soon as I return, I have to collect data for my dissertation. Now, don't get me wrong...I like all of this and I acknowledge that it's self-inflicted. I can typically handle it all as long as other things in my life go smoothly!

Let me just say that not everything went smoothly last week! It started last Monday when I got a call from the kids' school. Kaitlyn was running temperature. No problem! I picked her up and stayed with her at home. It turned out to be strep. Well, the fever continued until Thursday, so she and I hung out together pretty much all week. (Trey couldn't help much because he and LaTricia were battling the flu at their house!) So Friday comes along, and I send Kaitlyn back to school and return to work. That afternoon the school calls again...now Caleb has a fever! So I take him to a clinic that evening, thinking he has strep or the flu. Much to my surprise, both tests are negative. So here he is with a fever of 103 and a low oxygen level. It turns out he's exhibiting the early signs of pneumonia. So we stick him with a big fat shot and put him on some meds. Then on Saturday we took the whole family to the regular pediatrician to monitor Caleb's oxygen level, and we discover that Avery has an ear infection. Geez!

To make a long story even longer, the kids recuperated over the weekend, and all is well again. Knock on wood! The point to my story...some weeks just make me want to crawl in a hole!

On the bright side, let me stop whining and share something positive. Last night, as I watched the New York Giants win the Superbowl, I realized that I have been in remission for a year now! Last year during the Superbowl, I laid in a hospital bed at the emergency room with a spinal headache and triple/quadruple vision. Today I celebrate the fact that my vision has been restored and that I am fortunate enough to have manageable MS symptoms. No matter how frustrating some weeks can be...whether the kids are sick or I'm stressed out or I'm feeling bad...I acknowledge that those times are inconsequential in comparison to the problems or setbacks others may face. I remind myself on a daily basis of the blessings the Lord has provided.

4 comments:

M Holly said...

"Count your many blessings, name them one by one" When we do that, we take our minds off ourselves and put them on God. I think you proved that! Sorry your week was so laden with illnesses, but I'm thankful that all are well and on the road to recovery.

And, what a blessing that you have been in remission for so long. I will pray for your remission to continue and that you will accomplish all that God has in store for you!

A. Holly

Anonymous said...

Praise God for that!! Praying that you will continue to do better and better. Hope the kids are feeling better now....sick kids are no fun. Well, that's not altogether true. As much as I hate my kids feeling bad sometimes it allows Noah to calm down and not be so hyper. That's nice. Don't tell him I said that!

Party of Five said...

OH Kari, you are truly an amazing woman of God. I am so proud of who you are as a mother and as a person. I am thankful that the kids are all well again. You must have passed the "bugs" through the phone because all have been sick in our house over the past week too. Just part of the daily grind. Praise the Lord for your remission and onto the dissertation!!!! I love you!!!

Amy Woods said...

I'm so glad you are doing so well! And aren't we all going to be glad when cold and flu season is OVER!! Ridge was home this week with something too! Got some good lovin' in though!