Not a whole lot has happened this week...at least nothing that's really exciting. But I thought I'd at least share that most unusual event. I have chosen to participate in a research study for MonSter, also known as MS! I will be one of seven participants from Lubbock for this particular study. Basically, I'll be taking a weekly shot as usual, but I'll also be taking a pill each day. One of them will be a placebo...neither I nor my doctor will know which one I'm taking. Anyway, the purpose of the study is to assist researchers in developing an effective oral medication for MS treatment. Currently, all MS patients are cursed by having to administer either daily or weekly injections. Luckily, I don't have a problem giving myself shots, but some people can't handle it very well.
So here's what happened. Last week I went in to sign some paperwork for the study. After signing my life away (LOL), they asked if I'd like to get some of the preliminary tests done. Sure, no problem...or so I thought! We did some basics like medical history, blood pressure, and urine sample. Then they said they needed to take blood. No problem! I told them I never have difficulty giving blood. Afterall, when I was being tested for MS, they once withdrew 14 viles at once, and I didn't have any issues! They only needed three this time. Well, the nurse attempted in my right arm first, but my vein collapsed before we got anything. Then she tried the left arm. It was coming out very slowly, so she moved the needle in further. I told them I was starting to feel faint, so they quickly withdrew the last vile.
Even after they withdrew the needle, I started feeling hot and everything started turning white. Those of you who have fainted know what I'm talking about! The next thing I knew I was dreaming and then I woke up with ten people hovering over me. I couldn't figure out where I was! Apparently, I kicked the nurse, fell forward, and entered dreamland! Well, I spent the next 2 hours laying in the doctor's office, waiting for my blood pressure to return to normal. I swore to them that I usually don't have problems giving blood, but I don't think they believed me! Nonetheless, I will think twice next time I run to the doctor to take care of some "quick" business!
Monday, July 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm sorry that happened to you. But remember - you are making progress for yourself and others with MS. We are praying for you.
A. Holly & U. Larry
Post a Comment