Friday, June 25, 2010

What Not to Say

A moment occurred this morning when I didn't know whether to laugh or hang my head in shame. As I drove the kids to day camp, I pulled out my lipstick at a red light. (I have a habit of putting on makeup on my way to work, if I bother to put any on at all.) Caleb inquired, "Mom, why do girls wear make up?" "Well, I guess it makes them feel prettier," I replied. A short pause. Then...."Why do ugly girls bother to wear make up?" My jaw dropped. I didn't know whether to laugh or say, "Caleb" in that motherly tone of voice that conveys "I can't believe you just said that"...without actually saying the words. Lesson learned this morning---my boy still has a lot to learn when it comes to women. Of course, I hope those words never emerge from his lips again, but if they do, perhaps he'll know better than to say them among a group of females!

1 comment:

M Holly said...

Oh dear! Out of the mouths of babes!