It's been awhile since my last post, and a lot has happened since then. Tonight I will not attempt to cover the biggies, like Christmas or Kaitlyn's 9th birthday. I only wanted to share a few funny stories from the past week.
(1) First, we went to my favorite Japanese restaurant the other night. When the server brought our drinks, I asked for straws. Like many restaurants, the straws come packaged in a paper wrapping. Well, you know how kids love to tear the paper off one end, blow into the straw, and shoot the paper off the other end? Well, I decided to do so. Usually, there is a hole somewhere in the paper so it doesn't go very far. Usually! This time, however, the paper wrapping went sailing across my table and into the back of a woman's head at the adjacent table. (And I would like to emphasize to everyone that I am 32 years old and would like to believe that I am a stellar role model for all young children!)
(2) Earlier in the week, Caleb, Kaitlyn, and I were eating supper at a local diner. The topic of pregnancy and babies came up. Let me say...this is not an uncommon subject in our house these days because Trey and his wife are expecting a baby girl. Baby "Peanut," as they call her now, will be delivered by C-section on Friday. I digress...anyway, Kaitlyn asked how babies get out of the mommy's belly. I proceeded to explain that they will cut their step-mom's tummy and take the baby out. She asked if that's how she and Caleb got out of my belly. I explained to her that she came out quite differently and briefly described the process by which she emerged...using our own family terminology. I was honest, but simple, in my explanation. Nonetheless, Kaitlyn...who previously wanted lots of babies...explained to me that she would no longer be having any babies when she grows up!
(3) Avery was sharing a story with Jeremy and I about something that happened at her mom's house. Apparently, her step-father is a hunter. Even though I was not raised with any animals hanging above our mantle, I became accustomed to such sights when I was married to Trey. Well, I don't think Avery had seen a mounted animal until last week. My interpretation of her story was that her step-father brought home a mounted deer head one night and was carrying it from the garage to the living room. Avery's perception of the story was a bit different. She said, "And when I came out of my room, I saw a giant deer running through our house with no legs!"
(4) Back to the Japanese restaurant...on the same night in which I shot the paper torpedo, another "funny" thing happened! I am, what I like to call, a conservative sushi eater. So I ordered my usual sushi roll with crab meat, cucumber, and avocado. As you may know, sushi typically comes with some pickled, nasty pink stuff and some wasabi, which is a very potent, green, horseradishy tasting condiment. Anyway, my sushi comes wrapped in yummy avocado slivers. Apparently, however, I wasn't paying much attention, and I thought a big hunk of avocado had fallen onto the plate. I proceeded to stuff the green glob into my mouth. Well, as I'm sure you have already predicted...it was NOT avocado. It was the wasabi! Those of you who have tasted this will know that you're only supposed to eat this stuff in moderation...for a reason. My tongue proceeded to burn and my eyes filled with tears. I guess that was my punishment for shooting the paper torpedo!
Monday, January 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment