As most of you know, my grandfather (PaPa) passed away last Sunday. His funeral was Friday afternoon. Even though it was a sad occasion, it was also a blessing to see my sister and extended family. I don't remember the last time I saw some of my cousins....too long! Jeremy and I had a blast at dinner that night just catching up with them and having a few laughs. Jeremy even said that he likes my family! Wow, I guess we have him fooled! He said he feels like he knows me better now because he has a better sense of who my family is.
We also had the opportunity to see my Grandma Lela. When I saw her at the funeral, I gave her a huge hug and cried on her shoulder. She's the only grandparent I have left, and I love her so much. (She also told me she's been secretly reading my blog, so....if you're reading this Grandma, "I love you!")
Since PaPa's death, I've been thinking about my favorite memories of my grandparents. I remember staying with Grandma M. and PaPa during the summer. Grandma M. used to make Stephanie and I salmon patties for lunch. We didn't really like them, so we didn't eat much. Then she'd serve them for supper, too! PaPa would come home after work and fix us a fried weiner sandwich for a late night snack. We loved them...the more burned, the better! I also remember going to the farm while they were harvesting. The men would be hard at work on the tractors, and we'd take them some homemade hamburgers and have a picnic on the bed of the truck. Of course, we'd always have to get a Dr. Pepper and Snickers, too. PaPa kept a hidden stash at the farm at all times!
I've had so many good times with Grandma Lela, too! I remember going to her house as a little girl, and she would fix me a special bed on one of her chairs. It was just the right size for me! I also remember one incident in particular. One summer, Grandma took Stephanie and I shopping at a local department store. I was carrying a special purse that said, "Mommy's Little Helper" on it. When we got home, I couldn't find it. I think we even went back to the store to look for it. I was so sad I had lost it. A few weeks later, I got a special package in the mail. Grandma Lela had found me another purse just like it! I think I still have it, too! Isn't it interesting the things that make an impact on our lives!
Sunday, November 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Those are great memories! I loved eating bologna sandwiches there. The only place I ate them!! I love Grandma Lela too! She told me at the funeral that she will still be grandma as well. I love that lady and all the memories we had at her house.
Kari, I just want to know if Jeremy can name all your cousins and who their parents are and who their kids are? I can just imagine how overwhelming it must have been for him in the house with so many people he didn't know. Just tell him I didn't know most of them either and I've been in this family for years on end!
I better not test Jeremy on my family...I've known his family for over a year, and I still can't name all of his brother's children!
Ummm!!! Kari!!!! I'm calling Jeremy's brother right now and telling on you! Thats just ridiculous! Ha!!
But, Amy, he has 11 kids! LOL
It was so good to see you last weekend, even if the circumstances weren't the best. I also enjoyed getting to meet Jeremy. I'm glad he liked your family because we can all be a little KooKoo for CoCo puffs! Well at least those silly kids from Larry and Holly's family!
Post a Comment