Friday, July 13, 2007

A Time for Everything

I've been inspired by my cousins Sara and Amy to maintain a blog. I haven't seen either of those cousins in several years, so I enjoy being able to read their blogs and feel like I still know what's going on in their lives. I'm currently in the process of trying to convince my sister to start a blog as well, but I know she's insanely busy!

Well, let me start by explaining the rationale behind the name for my blog, A Time for Everything. Over the past several years, I have realized that there is certainly a time for everything. You never know what to expect. As most of you know, for the past seven years, Kaitlyn has been my child who is full of surprises. She's struggled with seizures off and on since she was a baby and was diagnosed with autism over a year ago. Right now it takes 180 pills to keep her going on a monthly basis! Sometimes I worry about what the future holds for her, but I take comfort in knowing that today she is a VERY active little girl whose laugh can often put a smile on my face. Just yesterday, she was in one of her ornery moods, and she still made me laugh...Caleb told her he loved her with the most sincere intention, and Kaitlyn's immediate response was, "Shush!" She can be so mean sometimes, but I still love her with all my heart! Then there's Caleb. He is a kind-hearted little boy with a heart the size of Texas. He knows he can melt my heart with a simple wink of his eye!
To add to the uncertainty that children add to life, throw in a divorce, job change, health problems, re-marriage, and a dissertation. Combine all those elements and you'll have my life over the past two years. I will admit, however, that I am so blessed to have remained good friends with my ex-husband, Trey. He is an amazing father, and in spite of the circumstances, I feel that our ability to maintain such a positive relationship has been good for our children. My family and friends have all been such a tremendous help when I've needed them.

That leads me to last February. I had been having strange medical problems for some time, and I was going through test after test. It culminated with me losing my vision. I could still see to some extent, but I was seeing double. Imagine being with me on the road while I was still struggling to drive! Luckily, I finally realized that it wasn't safe for me to be on the road, and I allowed my parents to take care of me for awhile. I was so miserable. I couldn't see well, and I was recovering from a spinal tap. (If you haven't ever had a spinal tap, DON'T! The procedure itself wasn't bad, but the week that followed was horrible.) Thanks to the wonderful world of steroids, I was able to regain my vision within a few months.

It was during that time that I realized the man I had been dating for almost a year was for keeps! Jeremy stayed by my side when I had no make-up, hair was a mess, and I was wearing a pirate patch...and he told me WE would get through this together. And we did. He has supported me since the MS diagnosis and despite his dislike of needles, he watches me every week as I give myself shots. He even went so far as to marry me on June 15. He's been so wonderful!
So now...Kaitlyn, Caleb, and I have transitioned from being a family of three to a family of five. We have two great additions...Jeremy and his seven-year old daughter, Avery.

As I mentioned earlier, I have realized through all these lessons in life that there is truly a time for everything...a time to laugh, a time to cry, a time to mourn, and a time to dance.

6 comments:

Beth said...

Kari I am so glad you are going to do a blog. I will be able to keep up with you. Congratulations! I am anxious to meet Jeremy and Avery.

Party of Five said...

WOW!!! You did a great job on your blog. I will try to make time to create one too. We missed you guys tonight at our party. 35 people!!! I am definitely tired tonight. I love you Kari!

Amy Woods said...

What? Wow!!! Kari!! I've actually been talking about you lately with my middle daughter, Natalie. She is starting her first competitive season in gymnastics. I'm so glad you started a blog! And I had no idea you got married. Congratulations! I look forward to reading your blog and now that I know you read mine I may actually update it a little more often!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to blog world! I love being able to keep up with everybody. I didn't know you had gotten married! Congratulations! I can't wait to meet Jeremy. We really need to all get together again sometime. I would love to see all the cousins. I've been able to catch up with Scott and Mackenzie this summer which has been so good. They're both so grown up and mature. Well, keep it up cuz we love knowing what is going on in your life and with your kids.

rkmcrae said...

Kari! Congratulations on your marriage! Sorry I did not know you were getting married or I would have sent you my best wishes as that time, but I am sending them now.

So happy you are keeping a blog. I love reading my sisters and will now enjoy reading yours. Once I have kids I will start my own blog as they give you lots to write about.

Rhonda

M Holly said...

Kari and Jeremy,
Congratulations on your marriage! What a surprise when we found out about it while we were on or cruise with your parents! As soon as we found out in an e-mail from Rhonda, we "confronted" your them about it. They were just as surprised as we were to find out you had a blog and had posted about your wedding. We are so glad you are blogging. It is great to keep up with all our family via this medium. Your children are beautiful and Jeremy is very handsome! Congrats again. We love you. Uncle Larry and Aunt Holly.